Wednesday, July 25, 2012

First Days of Nursing School

Since I just started nursing school this week, I thought it would fun to jot down a few thoughts along the way to reflect back in a year when I am through with the BSN program. My first thoughts of going back to school for a second Bachelor's degree were less than thrilled but I needed to do something. I applied to PA school two years in a row and both years I was wait listed, by different schools I might add. I couldn't keep my life, and now Eric's life on hold any longer. I had to move to plan B. I heard through a couple different friends about an accelerated nursing program, for students who already have a Bachelor's degree, that would take 1 year to complete instead of 2. So I looked into it found out that it's actually a BSN/MSN nursing program where I can be a nurse practitioner in two years if I continue on after the first year but it is not required. Well, I went through the very rigorous and huge packet of material  to apply, I got accepted and monday was my first day of school. My first day pretty much consisted of all the normal things you do on any first day, but we started lecture for 1 of the 3 graduate courses I am taking in the first 5 weeks, as well. Yes, you heard me right…3 grad courses in 5 weeks. This means at least 2 tests every week, 2 papers, and 4 projects…apparently this is possible…lets hope so for my sake. After that, all the courses are undergraduate level, but I have to keep my grades C or higher (not to hard right?) and pass 2 HESSY exams or be kicked out of the program, and then take my NCLEX…and in the middle of everything do all my rotations and my practicum!! It's going to be so much work, a lot of sacrifice, and little sleep for the next year but on the bright side I am a college Senior all over again instead of a Freshman! hahahha. Well I bought my books and nursing uniform, and white coat this week, and we started taking pulse and blood pressures today (thank goodness I have these mastered from working the last 2 years). I love my Pharmacology class so far and Pathophysiology is interesting….. really looking forward to the time where I can be working on my own, but I can use all the prayers I can get to get through this program, so if you're feeling generous send them my way. :)

1 comment:

  1. Accelerated Nursing which is dedicated to providing you with the most comprehensive and up to date information accelerated online degrees. You gotta see this for more details.

    ReplyDelete