Monday, May 14, 2012

Even The Sun sets in Paradise

Catching up is what I need to do. I've been kinda lagging in posting new things lately. Mostly it's because life has just been really busy. So here goes nothing.

On May 3, 2012 at 7pm Central time, one of the greatest women I've ever had the privilege of knowing, my grandmother, Joanne Allen, Passed away at the age of 81 (almost 82). She was a beautiful lady who over the years survived so much. She grew up poor on a little farm  in the Dakotas' and had a twin sister. She met my grandfather on a blind date, and had 6 children. 4 boys and then 2 girls. My mom was the first girl. The whole family picked up and moved to the Panama Canal Zone where my grandfather was a tug boat captain, and my grandma was a secretary at the school. My grandmother loved to fish, popcorn was her favorite snack, and her dogs were her little babies. She loved putting bows in their hair and dressing them up. When she turned 50 she started having heart problems and ended up receiving a heart transplant 18 years ago, she named the heart El Vira. My grandma was a tough lady and her and my granddad were married 62 years.

I was able to fly to Alabama the following Sat. so I could attend the wake and funeral of this beautiful lady. It was great to be surrounded by family and friends. It was a beautiful service that did her justice.

I stayed in Bama for the entire week and flew back Sunday (yesterday). I was really glad I was able to be there and spend time with my family. I took lots of pictures and these are just a few from my trip there this last week.

Granddad and I at the BBQ after the funeral

My dad and I at Wintzel's Oyster House after the wake

Me and Momma

Kids and mom…just missing my little brother Aaron

Yeah! I caught my 4 yr old nephew with his pants down outside at the BBQ bahahahhaha…..priceless (Black mail)

Fairhope Pier! Dad and I went for a Walk!

My dad

Uncle Stuart and I at Lulu's (Jimmy Buffet's sister's restaurant) 

The clan

Bahaha

Me and Mom


I love these ladies (aunts and mom)

I hope I look as good as my mom when I'm 53!!!!


She's crazy..my mom thought the water was too cold so she would only put her toes in! It's the Gulf of Mexico people!!!! It felt AMAZING…She is a sissy!

The girls

Ugh…did I mention how much I miss this!

Jumping for Joy


HAHAHA she tries.


Sisters

AWWWW

My uncles doing there Baywatch run


The 5 surviving Allen Children

I also got to go watch my old High School Softball team play in the Regional softball tournament, which my best friend Brittany is the assistant coach for.

A little reunion with a few of the old softball girls..Brittany, Marissa, and Tiffany

This is me at the end of the trip….Sunburned/tan, exhausted, and missing my husband.

A few of the other things I got to do while I was home is just spending lots of time with friends and family, shopping, eating out at a lot of my favorite places before having to go home, going to bootcamp with my mom at 5am (worth it), running in some of my favorite places, movies, and just enjoying good ole southern hospitality. Can't wait to go back!

1 comment:

  1. wow, great pics. you must have a good camera, what do you use?

    ReplyDelete